Thursday, 16 August 2018

Aquascutum

aquascutum

 

 

 

 

Started by John Emary in 1851 as a gents tailors in Mayfair, fine craftsmanship and innovation have been at the forefront of the brand. In 1853 Emary patented the first waterproof textile, which led to inspire the brands name, aquascutum translates from Latin as Water Shield.

King Edward VII championed the brand, becoming the first royal client when he ordered a prince of wales check coat with a royal warrant following in 1897. In 1900 Aquascutum began designing coats for women, their coats and capes became popular with the suffragettes. In 1909 the first factory opened in Corby, Northamptonshire.

Aquascutum developed their trench coat in 1914 for use by the military in the first and second world wars. They became popular due to their waterproof properties and durability.

In 1953 they developed Wyncol fabric, a high-tech cotton and nylon poplin mix, was used by Edmund Hilary and his team during their first ascent of Mount Everest.

In 1959 another breakthrough in garment technology was the Aqua Five which was hailed as the “greatest technical advance in rainwear”. The process involved impregnating each fibre of the fabric, resulting in a water repellent and crease resistant garment.

The club check that we are all familiar with was launched in 1976 and can commonly be seen in their coats as a trim under the collar or lining.

The name Aquascutum translates as Water Shield in Latin.

Aquascutum is available at the following online stores.

PsycheStuarts London

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail